CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Number Sixty-seven

I could write a book about number sixty-seven, the plain white t-shirt.  It is my most favorite thing to wear and to buy.  I never have less than 5 in my closet.  Short sleeve, long sleeve, crew neck, v-neck, bateau neck; if there's a style of white t-shirt, I own it.  If I find them on sale, I buy two or three.  I simply love them and if I was to put The One Hundred in order by most important, the plain white t-shirt would be numero uno!

Why?  It goes with everything.  White brightens a person's face.  It can dress something up or down.  It looks great under a blazer, sweater, or sweatshirt.  It is easy to accessorize with pearls, turquoise, silver, gold, beads, a brooch, a scarf - the list goes on and on. It is simply, the perfect article of clothing.

My love (not obsession) with the plain white t-shirt began around 1987 when Ann Taylor ran an add with a woman in jeans, navy blazer and a plain white t-shirt.  I carried that picture around with me for years trying to re-create the look.  It took me a while to find all of those pieces and the perfect white t-shirt.  The first plain white T I owned was a Champion brand that I bought in the men's department at Dillards.  It was just the right thickness, 100% cotton and had a pocket.  I loved that shirt and vowed to never be without another one.  When they went on sale, I bought all they had in my size.

The key to the perfect plain white T is finding one that isn't too thick or thin; too tight or too loose; has just the right crew neck that doesn't come up too high or hang too low; and is in good shape.  Ahh ha! up until now, you were thinking, "I own plain white T's, what's the big deal?"  You probably do, but is it a good plain white t-shirt?  The style and fit is important, but what's really, really, really important is the condition of the shirt.  It should be WHITE - not almost white - but WHITE!  (Bleach is your friend.)  It should not be stretched out.  If it is, get rid of it and buy a new one.

The other great thing about the plain white T is it is affordable and can be purchased at just about any store.  Nina's favorites are Hanes.  I've tried them and they are too thin, the crew neck is too masculine, and they just don't fit my shape well.  If they work for you, then by all means, buy them.  Target has wonderful plain white T's and I think they are $8.99 and often on sale.  Places like Eddie Bauer and Talbots are also great sources.  Chico's has a nice T with a longer sleeve if you're worried about your arms.  Basically, the plain white t-shirt is everywhere and everyone should own at least 2 or 3 or 6 or 7.  (No one really knows how many I own and I'll never tell.)

My most favorite item of The One Hundred - The Plain White T-Shirt. Eleven down, eight-nine to go.

0 comments: